Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day 36 All Smiles

I have two friends who held memorial services for their mothers today. Both of these ladies spent years doing good works in their community and raised their children to do the same. I decided a good way to honor them today would be to support Frame Day at the local Habitat for Humanity build. (Just to be clear, I didn't actually do any work at the site, just showed my support.) It was freezing. It was raining. It was muddy. But guess what? Everyone there was smiling. The homeowner (pictured here) certainly had reason to smile. After all the work she's put in to get to this point, seeing so many people come out to help build her house has got to be a thrill. But everyone else was smiling, too. They just seemed happy to be there, happy to be working together to make a difference in someone's life. I'm sure it wasn't all smiles at the memorial services, but I hope there were some as friends and family shared happy memories. There are surely more smiles in the world because of the way those two ladies chose to spend their time. And today, the same can be said for a bunch of cold, wet Habitat volunteers.

No comments: